02. Februar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen: NATO in Küstengewässer? · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags: ,

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/02/01/serraj-says-foreign-warships-might-fight-people-smugglers-within-libyan-waters/

Serraj says foreign warships might fight people-smugglers within Libyan waters

By Jamie Prentis. Tunis, 1 February 2016:

Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj has suggested NATO ships could be allowed to operate in Libyan waters if they helped the navy combat people-smugglers. He told reporters in Brussels that any “party” that seeks to work with and support the Libyan navy would be welcomed. “We have to modernise our navy flotilla and enhance its capacities” he said, “NATO or any other friendly national on a bilateral basis could extend a hand in this.” Weiterlesen »

02. Februar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „How to stop rising tide of death in Mediterranean“ · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen · Tags: ,

MSF | 19.01.2017

The number of people who died trying to reach Europe by crossing the Mediterranean has reached an all-time high, and is becoming comparable to what Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is used to seeing in warzones.

The UN Migration Agency recorded at least 5,079 deaths last year – the actual number of deaths is likely to be much higher.

We have no idea how many dinghies overloaded with terrified passengers set sail from Libya in the direction of Italy each day. Nor do we know how many of them sink without trace, before they reach busy shipping lanes in the Mediterranean or call for help.

Weiterlesen »

01. Februar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Slovenia adopts an act contrary to the Refugee Convention · Kategorien: Balkanroute, Kroatien · Tags: ,

Quelle: Welcome! Initiative Croatia 31.01.17

On Tuesday, the Welcome! Initiative and Are you Syrious? presented the Report on Illegal and Forced Push Backs of Refugees from the Republic of Croatia in which they warned against the violations of Croatia’s national and international legal obligations and of the inviolability of human life and dignity as universal human values. Weiterlesen »

31. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Death in Greek Camps · Kategorien: Europa, Griechenland · Tags: ,

w2eu | 29.01.2017

Five refugees dead in Greek camps since last week due to inadequate reception conditions. Several others tried to commit suicide. Does life still matter in Europe?

  • On Monday 30th of January a 20-year-old refugee from Pakistan died in Moria Hot Spot.
  • On Saturday 28th of January a 46-year-old Syrian passed away in Moria Hot Spot detention centre reportedly from hypothermia. He was staying in the same tent as another man who died only four days ago.
  • Meanwhile the same day in Ritsona camp in mainland Greece a two-months-old baby was transferred to hospital in Chalkida due to a cystic fibrosis and later on passed away in the ambulance which was taking it to Athens. While the parents had to deal with tremendous problems in finding help for their sick child since it was born, and were under shock of its sudden death authorities and media chose to accuse them for minor neglect and bring them to the local police station. Read here: Announcement of the solidarity group in Chalkida
  • On Wednesday 25th of January a 42-year-old refugee named Benjo Massoud, father of three children, passed away in the overcrowded Hot Spot on Samos Island. According to Greek media the Kurdish refugee from Iraq had visited on Wednesday morning the camp doctor suffering reportedly from pain in the chest. He reported to have Diabetes and blood high pressure. A cardiogram was made and he got referred immediately to the hospital of the island, where he died while waiting to be examined. An employee of the camp said that the refugee had received already some days ago a letter of a doctor asking for heart exams in the hospital of the island. Despite this fact, he remained in his tent with his family the days that was very cold. Few days ago he had found by himself an empty container and settled in it together with his family. When he informed the camp managers, they just registered the transfer to the prefabricated house. The refugee had arrived on December 7th and went through first reception procedures without anyone noticing any heart problem. Already back in October Medicines Sans Frontiers reported the inadequacy of the system to screen new arrivals for vulnerability in the Hot Spots of the Aegean.
  • One day before, on Tuesday the 24th, a 21-year-old Egyptian refugee was found dead in his tent by a friend in the Hot Spot in Moria on Lesbos Island. The cause of his death is still unknown. While reportedly his death was caused by the kerosine heaters’ gas he had inhaled while trying to keep himself warm.
  • These were not the first refugee deaths of this winter in Moria. At the end of November 2016 a a 60-year-old woman and her 5-year-old grandchild died in a fire inside their tent while the woman was cooking dinner.

Weiterlesen »

31. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für *«We are watching as our lives fade away…”* · Kategorien: Europa, Griechenland · Tags: ,

Bericht von Clandestina, Thessaloniki, über die Zustände in drei nordgriechischen Lagern, 25.01.17

On Sunday the 22nd of January 2017 some of us, from the assembly of the demolished Orfanotrofio Squat and other comrades, visited three camps outside Thessaloniki. Those at Softex, Diavata and Kalochori. Weiterlesen »

31. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen: Navy says people-smugglers fired on coastguard · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags: , ,

The Libya Herald | 30.01.2017

Navy says people-smugglers fired on coastguard vessel

A Libyan coastguard vessel was reportedly shot at from the shore by people-smugglers as it intercepted 700 migrants off Sabratha. Naval spokesman colonel Ayoub Qassem told AFP that, as the coastguard vessel closed with the two wooden vessels onto which the migrants had been crammed, it came under fire from people-smugglers on the beach. Weiterlesen »

30. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Flüchtlinge in der Ukraine: Wie das Leben weitergeht“ · Kategorien: Ukraine · Tags:

Spiegel Online | 16.01.2017

Tausende Menschen hat der Krieg in der Ukraine zur Flucht gezwungen. Viele sind in Camps untergekommen und wissen, dass sie ihr altes Leben nie wieder zurück bekommen. Wie gehen sie damit um?

Von Yuliana Romanyshyn und Anastasia Vlasova

Ein Dutzend grauer Metallcontainer steht am Stadtrand von Kharkiv, eine der größten Städte der Ukraine. Umgeben sind sie von einem Zaun, verbunden durch Strommasten und Wege. Von einem Spielplatz hört man Kinder lachen. „Transit modular housing Nadiya“, steht auf einem der Container. Auf Ukrainisch bedeutet der Name des Camps „Hoffnung“.

Das Camp bietet Schutz für bis zu 400 Menschen, für Binnenflüchtlinge aus der vom Krieg verwüsteten Donbas-Region. Kharkiv hat 1,5 Millionen Einwohner, die Stadt liegt nur 200 Kilometer vom Frontverlauf entfernt. Laut dem Ukrainischen Sozialministerium sind mindestens 1,8 Millionen Menschen vor dem Konflikt im Osten des Landes und der Annexion der Krim aus ihrer Heimat geflohen. Einige haben Asyl in der EU beantragt oder sind nach Russland geflohen, doch die meisten suchen in der Ukraine Schutz.

Weiterlesen »

29. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Il sueño americano dei migranti. Un viaggio «bestiale» (fotoreportage) · Kategorien: Nicht zugeordnet · Tags:

Il Manifesto | 28.01.2017

La rotta messicana. In fuga dalla miseria e dalla violenza delle «maras» che dettano legge in Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala. Costretti ad attraversare pericolosamente l’intero Messico potendo contare solo sugli «albergues» e sulla solidarietà «campesina». Con «destino» finale il confine che ora Trump intende murare

Mauro Pagnano

migrarnoesdelito – scritto così, senza spazi e tutto minuscolo – è la password dell’ufficio dell’Albergue Hermanos en el camino a Ixtepec, stato di Oaxaca, nel sud del Messico.

Weiterlesen »

29. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Migranti, blocco navale in Libia basato su intesa tra Italia e governo che non c’è. “Sarraj debole, Haftar sempre più forte” · Kategorien: Europa, Italien, Libyen, Malta · Tags:

Il Fatto Quotidiano | 29.01.2017

Il nuovo piano di Bruxelles, che verrà presentato a Malta il 3 febbraio, porta le firme del Commissario all’immigrazione Dimitri Avramopoulos, di Lady Pesc Federica Mogherini e di Joseph Muscat, premier maltese, cui spetta la presidenza di turno dell’Ue. Serra, consigliere militare dell’inviato Onu: „Il governo Sarraj è fragile“. Arturo Varvelli, analista dell’Ispi: „Controlla appena un quarto del Paese“

di Lorenzo Bagnoli

La Commissione europea presenta l’ennesimo piano per arginare i flussi migratori diretti dalla Libia in Italia. Il documento s’intitola Migrazione nella rotta del Mediterraneo centrale, farà il suo esordio al summit di La Valletta previsto per il 3 febbraio e prevede la possibilità di costruire un “blocco navale” (“line of protection”) insieme alla Guardia costiera libica, addestrata dalle marine militari europee (Italia e Olanda in prima fila) per fermare i barconi già in acque libiche. “Improbabile che sia la strategia vincente in un contesto come quello libico”, spiega il ricercatore di ISPI Arturo Varvelli, esperto di Libia.

Weiterlesen »

29. Januar 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Migration aus ethischer Sicht: Was für offene Grenzen spricht“ · Kategorien: Lesetipps

NZZ | 27.01.2017

In seinem Buch befasst sich der Philosoph Andreas Cassee mit den brennenden Fragen weltweiter Migration

Nina Fargahi

Wie sähe eine Welt aus, in der jeder Mensch frei darüber entscheiden könnte, wo er leben möchte? Oder anders gefragt: Dürfen Staaten aus ethischer Perspektive die Zuwanderung auf ihr Territorium beschränken?

Der Philosoph Andreas Cassee stellt sich dieser wohl brennendsten Frage globaler Migrationspolitik. Dabei geht es ihm nicht primär um völkerrechtliche Argumente, sondern um eine moralische Sicht der Dinge. Einwanderungsbeschränkungen, so Cassee, seien unvereinbar mit dem liberalen Bekenntnis zur Freiheit und Gleichheit aller Menschen.

Weiterlesen »