Dokumentation
Limassol (Cyprus) (AFP)
Almost 300 mostly Syrian refugees rescued by a cruise liner were refusing Friday to disembark in Cyprus’s southern port of Limassol, demanding instead to be taken to Italy, the cruise company said.
A total of 345 migrants, mainly women and children, had been plucked from a boat in trouble off the coast of Cyprus on Thursday by a Salamis Cruise Lines ship, according to the company and Cypriot authorities. Some 700 paying passengers disembarked from the 157-metre liner, police said, but only 65 of those rescued at sea left the ship. The others refused to budge, the shipping company said.
http://www.watchthemed.net/index.php/
Alarmphone
For Boatpeople in Distress at Sea and in Cases of Pushback
The Watch The Med Alarm Phone is a ‘hotline’ for people in distress at sea. Our hotline will run 24/7 and will immediately raise alarm when refugees and migrants get into situations of distress at sea and are not promptly rescued. It will be managed by human rights activists from both sides of the Mediterranean and offer a multilingual team that will first advise all persons in distress to alert the officially responsible rescue teams. The Watch The Med Alarm Phone does not possess rescue-teams and we cannot offer direct protection. When a distress call is received, we will call the coast guards ourselves, and follow up on their response, making known to them that we are informed and ‘watching’ them. If they fail to respond, we will gather all imaginable political and public pressure to force them to do so.
—————————————————————————————————
+ + The number will be published here on the 10th of October + +
—————————————————————————————————
—————————————————————————————————
+ + Read and download the flyer in EN FR AR DT GR IT ES + +
—————————————————————————————————
Déclaration conjointe
de Mme Theresa MAY et de M. Bernard CAZENEUVE, Ministres de l’intérieur britannique et français
20 septembre 2014
Le Royaume-Uni et la France partagent la même préoccupation face au nombre de migrants illégaux tentant la traversée de la Méditerranée en provenance d’Afrique du Nord, face à l’importance des arrivées de migrants aux frontières de l’Union Européenne au sud de la Méditerranée ainsi qu’au sujet de la situation observée dans la région de Calais et autour de son port depuis le printemps 2014.
Vollständiger Text:
Déclaration commune des ministres de l’intérieur français etbritannique
Déjà 3 000 morts cette année en Méditerranée
Le Monde.fr | Par Madjid Zerrouky
Le nombre de décès au large des côtes européennes est choquant et inacceptable », s’est indigné William Lacy Swing, directeur général de l’Organisation internationale pour les migrations OIM, au lendemain du drame du 12 septembre au cours duquel 500 migrants se sont noyés après le naufrage délibéré de leur bateau. Et l’hécatombe continue : depuis le 10 septembre, au moins 287 autres personnes ont disparu en mer en tentant de traverser la Méditerranée, portant à près de 3 000 le nombre de morts cette année, selon les estimations de l’OIM.C’est déjà quatre fois plus qu’en 2013, six fois plus qu’en 2012, et le double de 2011 – l’année des « printemps arabes ».
Von Annette Langer und Giulio Magnifico (Fotos)
An der Südgrenze Europas spielt sich ein tödliches Drama ab: Tag für Tag versuchen Flüchtlinge, in überfüllten Booten nach Europa zu gelangen. Was treibt die Menschen, wer sind die Schleuser, wer profitiert von dem Elend? Antworten liefert diese Multimedia-Reportage aus Sizilien.
IrinNews
Is the EU doing enough to prevent migrant deaths at sea?
by Kristy Siegfried
JOHANNESBURG, 19 September 2014 (IRIN) – The news that up to 850 lives were lost in the Mediterranean this past weekend as a result of five shipwrecks of boats carrying migrants has sparked a new round of calls for the European Union (EU) to take more responsibility for preventing deaths at sea.
Weiterlesen »
New York Times
„Murder in the Mediterranean: Refugees Fleeing to Europe Face Death From Smugglers
by THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Refugees fleeing wars and conflict in Syria, Gaza and Africa know the journey in smugglers’ boats across the Mediterranean is fraught with perils.[…]
According to the International Organization for Migration, citing testimony from Palestinian survivors, last week in waters near Malta smugglers deliberately rammed a boat carrying some 500 refugees who refused a transfer to a smaller boat they felt was not safe.[…]
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/Display
Bring “Mediterranean mass murderers” to justice
UN Human Rights Chief
GENEVA (19 September 2014) – UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein on Friday urged Egypt and other North African and European States with relevant information to make a concerted effort to bring to justice the people smugglers who allegedly deliberately sank a boat causing the deaths of between 300 and 500 refugees and migrants in the Mediterranean last week.
High Commissioner Zeid stressed that it was crucial to bring to an end the prevailing impunity surrounding such crimes and urged States to do more to address the root causes driving people to make such dangerous journeys.
