15. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Mittelmeer: Mehr als 2.000 Flüchtlinge gerettet“ · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen, Mittelmeer · Tags: , ,

Deutschlandfunk | 15.04.2017

Die italienische Küstenwache und private Hilfsorganisationen haben gestern mehr als 2.000 Flüchtlinge von Booten im Mittelmeer gerettet.

Wie die Küstenwache mitteilte, wollten die Menschen von Libyen aus auf 16 Schlauchbooten und drei Holzschiffen nach Italien gelangen. Ein Flüchtling wurde den Angaben zufolge tot geborgen. Mehr als die Hälfte der Menschen kam mit Schiffen der Organisation Ärzte ohne Grenzen an Land. Diese widersprach dem Vorwurf der europäischen Grenzschutzagentur Frontex, mit ihren Rettungseinsätzen ermuntere sie Migranten zur Flucht.

Nach Angaben der Vereinten Nationen machten sich in den ersten drei Monaten dieses Jahres bereits mehr als 24.000 Menschen von Libyen aus nach Italien auf. Im gleichen Zeitraum des Vorjahres waren es etwa 6.000 weniger. Nach Einschätzung internationaler Organisationen warten in Libyen derzeit fast eine Million Migranten auf eine Möglichkeit, in die EU zu gelangen. Die meisten von ihnen stammten aus Ländern südlich der Sahara.

Weiterlesen »

14. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Germany favors ban on boat exports to Libya to stop migrants“ · Kategorien: Deutschland, Libyen · Tags: ,

Washington Post | 13.04.2017

By Associated Press

BERLIN — The German government says it would support a ban on the export of boats from the European Union to Libya as part of measures to stem the flow of migrants across the Mediterranean.

Smugglers use often rickety vessels to ferry thousands of migrants from the north African country to Europe each month. Mass drownings are common when the overloaded boats capsize or sink.

In a response to questions from Left Party lawmakers, the German government says it considers “imposing restrictive measures” on EU exports of boats, engines and vehicles to Libya to be an appropriate measure to crack down on people smuggling.

The response, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, also confirms that the EU naval mission deployed to stop illegal migration uses submarines for “covert reconnaissance” in the region.

13. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen, Italien: Neue Schiffskatastrophe 100 Tote · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Libya Herald | 13.04.2017

One hundred feared dead in latest migrant boat sinking

There are fears that some 97 people have drowned off Tripoli in the latest Mediterranean migrant tragedy.

The coastguard managed to rescue 23 people this morning after their boat got into difficulties and sank. Informed by radio about the incident, the service launched a rescue oepration and found the survivors, all men, clinging to wreckage some ten kilometres off Gargaresh, the west Tripoli suburb o

However, coastguard spokesman Ayoub Qassem told Reuters that they had reported that some 120 people had been on board the inflatable vessel, including 15 women and five children.

So far no bodies have been found. Qassem was quoted by another agency saying that bad weather had prevented a search for the victims although, un Tripoli, the weather was sunny and fine.

The migrants are believed to have left from Janzour, west of Gargaresh.

Weiterlesen »

12. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Libyen warnt EU vor neuen hohen Flüchtlingszahlen“ · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen

Migazin | 12.04.2017

Libyen wirft der Europäischen Union vor, leere Versprechungen abgegeben zu haben. Sollte die EU nicht die vereinbarte Hilfe leisten, würden noch mehr Flüchtlinge nach Europa kommen. Brüssel weist die Vorwürfe zurück.

Libyen warnt die EU vor neuen hohen Flüchtlingszahlen, da die Union ihre Versprechen zur Zusammenarbeit nicht halte. „Es ist dramatisch! Wir gehen von Tausenden aus, die sich allein in diesen Tagen auf den Weg machen“, sagte Ministerpräsident Fajes al Sarradsch dem Boulevardblatt Bild. „Leider hat Europa uns aber bisher nicht geholfen, sondern immer nur leere Versprechungen abgegeben“, kritisierte er. „Wenn das so bleibt, wird das Ergebnis sein: Noch mehr Schlepper und noch mehr Flüchtlinge!“ Die EU wies die Vorwürfe zurück. „Die EU kommt ihren Verpflichtungen nach“, sagte eine Sprecherin dem Evangelischen Pressedienst in Brüssel.

Weiterlesen »

12. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „IOM Learns of ‘Slave Market’ Conditions Endangering Migrants in North Africa“ · Kategorien: Afrika, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Libya Herald | 11.04.2017

Over the past weekend, IOM staff in Niger and Libya documented shocking events on North African migrant routes, which they have described as ‘slave markets’ tormenting hundreds of young African men bound for Libya.

Operations Officers with IOM’s office in Niger, reported on the rescue of a Senegalese migrant (referred to as SC to protect his identity) who this week was returning to his home after being held captive for months.

According to SC’s testimony, while trying to travel north through the Sahara, he arrived in Agadez, Niger, where he was told he would have to pay CFA200,000 (about $320) to continue north, towards Libya. A trafficker provided him with accommodation until the day of his departure, which was to be by pick-up truck.

The journey – over two days of travelling – through the desert was relatively smooth for this group. IOM has often heard from other migrants on this route who report seeing the remains of others abandoned by their drivers – and of trucks ransacked by bandits who siphon away their fuel.

Weiterlesen »

11. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Migrants from west Africa being ‘sold in Libyan slave markets’“ · Kategorien: Afrika, Libyen · Tags: , ,

The Guardian | 10.04.2017

UN migration agency says selling of people is rife in African nation that has slid into violent chaos since overthrow of Gaddafi

Emma Graham-Harrison

West African migrants are being bought and sold openly in modern-day slave markets in Libya, survivors have told a UN agency helping them return home.

Trafficked people passing through Libya have previously reported violence, extortion and slave labour. But the new testimony from the International Organization for Migration suggests that the trade in human beings has become so normalised that people are being traded in public.

“The latest reports of ‘slave markets’ for migrants can be added to a long list of outrages [in Libya],” said Mohammed Abdiker, IOM’s head of operation and emergencies. “The situation is dire. The more IOM engages inside Libya, the more we learn that it is a vale of tears for all too many migrants.”

Weiterlesen »

10. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Libyen: Italien schließt Abkommen zur Sicherung der Südgrenze“ · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Telepolis | 07.04.2017

Mit viel Geld für rivalisierende Stämme und Wirtschaftshilfe soll das Schleusergeschäft mit Migranten eingedämmt werden

Thomas Pany

Italien hat mit Stammesführern in Libyen ein Abkommen zur Sicherung der Südgrenze getroffen, wie Innenminister Marco Minniti bekannt gab. Demnach wurde mit 60 Stammesführern verhandelt, um Flüchtlingsbewegungen hauptsächlich aus Niger und dem Sudan zu unterbinden. Die 60 Stämme rivalisieren laut Medienberichten untereinander. Italien setzt insbesondere die großen Stämme der Tuareg, die die Grenze mit Algerien kontrollieren und die Tebu (oder auch Tubu), die an der Grenze zum Tschad und zum Sudan eine wichtige Rolle spielen.

Nach Informationen des Libya Herold wurde bereits Ende März in Rom eine Vereinbarung mit Führern der Tebu, der Tuareg und der Awlad Suleiman (von denen Teile angeblich auch mit dem IS in Verbindung gestanden hatten) getroffen, auch hierbei lag der Schwerpunkt auf der Grenzsicherung. Laut der italienischen Vertretung in Libyen soll die Abmachung mit wirtschaftlichen Aufbauhilfen gekoppelt werden.

Weiterlesen »

07. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Libyan Coast Guard kills human smugglers off western coast“ · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags: ,

The Libya Observer | 06.04.2017

by AbdullahBenIbrahim

Four human smugglers were killed in an exchange of fire with Libyan navy off the western shores on Thursday, a navy official has declared.

Spokesman of the Libyan Navy, Brigadier-General Ayoub Qasim, said Coast Guard patrol boats clashed with heavily armed gunmen escorting an illegal immigrants’ boat after they refused to obey orders to stop.

“The gunmen opened heavy fire at Coast Guard patrols and we had to respond to their fire,” he said, adding that two smugglers were arrested and another is still missing.

Weiterlesen »

07. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Fuel and gas crisis committee launches land, sea, and air operation to stem smuggling in Libya“ · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags: ,

The Libya Observer | 06.04.2017

by AbdulkaderAssad

The fuel and gas committee has launched The Mediterranean Storm Operation that means to cut off the routes of international smuggling gangs that are smuggling Libyan fuel off Libyan shores and elsewhere.

„The operation will see a cooperation between the naval force and the air force in Libya.“ The committee said on Thursday.

It added that among other aims, the operation will seize the vehicles used by the smugglers to smuggle Libyan fuel starting from Thursday.

Weiterlesen »

07. April 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen: „Serraj again meets US Africom head“ · Kategorien: Libyen, USA · Tags:

Libya Herald | 05.04.2017

By Jamie Prentis

Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj was in Germany today to see the head of the United Stated Africa Command (AFRICOM) General Thomas Waldhauser.

In Stuttgart, AFRICOM’s base, both sides looked at how the US and its new administration could support Libya, in particular o combatting terrorism and preventing the reemergence of the so-called Islamic State (IS).

Serraj expressed his gratitude to Waldhauser for US support during the liberation of Sirte when PC-backed forces ousted IS militants from the town.

Both sides discussed the possibility of the US aiding Libyan military efforts via training and “information exchange.”

Waldhauser reiterated the standard US line that it remained supportive of Serraj and his government of national accord.

Serraj has previously visited Stuttgart for talks with Waldhauser before, in August last year. That meeting touched on similar topics, including combatting IS developing Libyan defensive capabilities, military training and information exchange.