15. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Die neuen EU-Auffanglager: Agadez, Arlitt, Diffa in Niger · Kategorien: Europa, Sahara · Tags:

news.yahoo.com

EU to open Niger shelters to keep migrants out of Europe

Niamey (AFP) – Several shelters are to open in Niger for illegal African immigrants in a bid to dissuade them from trying to reach Europe and instead offering local alternatives, the French interior minister said Friday.

The centres proposed by the European Union, in cooperation with Niger, „should be an opportunity to bring ambitious development policies for migrants and for states,“ said Bernard Cazeneuve in Niger’s capital Niamey after meeting President Mahamadou Issoufou.

Weiterlesen »

15. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Agenda EU Bombardierung an libyscher Küste – Telegraph · Kategorien: Europa, Italien, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Quelle: Telegraph

UN could give the green light to EU plans for Libya military action

European nations hope that the Security Council will approve military action against Libyan smuggling gangs

By , Rome and Philip Sherwell, New York

„[…] The United Nations is considering giving a green light to European military action against people smugglers in Libya’s territorial waters and even within ports and harbours along the Libyan coast, The Telegraph has learned.

British diplomats are drafting a UN Security Council resolution that would allow the use of military force by European navies to combat the human trafficking gangs that currently operate with impunity in the increasingly unruly North African country.

Military strikes on harbours and beaches could involve British forces – the Royal Navy’s flagship, HMS Bulwark, joined the search and rescue operation in the Mediterranean earlier this month and has rescued around 600 desperate migrants trying to reach Italy.

The 19,000-tonne assault ship is equipped with landing craft and Merlin helicopters and carries a complement of Royal Marines.

The wording of the UN resolution still has to be finalised but a strategy paper drawn up by the EU this week said that military operations ashore involving special forces units may be required in order to destroy the traffickers‘ assets, including fuel dumps.

The UN resolution will be circulated after Philip Hammond and his fellow EU foreign ministers meet in Brussels on Monday to discuss options for military force against the smuggling networks.

The formal decision to set up the mission is expected to be taken at that meeting, with ministers then expected to ask European military commanders to draw up plans.
Royal Marines help migrants disembark from an inflatable boat onto a landing craft of HMS Bulwark after being rescued around 40 miles off the coast of Libya

The operation would then be launched at an EU summit in June.

The UN resolution is required in order to provide international legal cover for military operations outside EU territory or waters.

„The point will be to dismantle the business model of these people who are making millions of dollars out of this awful trade,“ a senior Security Council diplomat said.

The main objective will be to destroy smugglers‘ boats, in military operations modelled on the successful campaign waged against Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean.

The Security Council may not vote on the resolution before next month because Russian fears about destabilising Libya further need to be addressed.

The resolution is expected to outline three geographical areas for military action to destroy smuggling networks – the high seas of the Mediterranean, Libya’s territorial waters and the Libyan coast.

The third area will be the most contentious as it could involve the use of special forces going ashore to target boats in ports and on beaches, or even the bases and holding camps used by smuggling gangs – despite previous assurances from diplomats that there will be „no boots on the ground“.

The UN is not debating the specifics of any military action.

That will fall to Federica Mogherini, the EU’s foreign policy chief, working with EU member states in Brussels.

But the UN resolution would make clear that military action would be part of a broad maritime-based operation led by EU naval forces, a senior Security Council diplomat said.

„We’re moving here in parallel with moves in Brussels,“ the official added.

Russia, which has a veto power at the world body, has objected to the use of the word „destroy“ in relation to the smugglers‘ boats.

To overcome Moscow’s objections, the resolution may instead give approval to moves to „inspect, seize and render inoperable“ the boats.

„The model for this is the operation against Somali pirates. There will not be some sort of ground invasion,“ the diplomat said.

But European forces conducting lightning raids could still find themselves under fire from heavily-armed Libyan militias and smugglers if they set foot on beaches or in harbours along the coast.

They could be attacked by „heavy military armaments (including coastal artillery batteries) and military-capable militias,“ the EU strategy paper warned, as well as terrorists such as Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil), which has a presence in parts of Libya.

EU leaders are also seeking to secure support from the Libyan authorities for the UN-mandated military action.

But that is a big challenge because the country does not have a functioning central administration.

Its internationally-recognised government has been driven out of the capital Tripoli and is based in the eastern coastal city of Tobruk. […]“

15. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für EU Militär an Küste Libyens: „Kalte Dusche von Obama“ · Kategorien: Europa, Italien, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Obama bremst den EU-Plan zum Militäreinsatz an der libyschen Küste aus. Der EU-Militäreinsatz würde das Chaos in Libyen vergrößern. Stattdessen sei eine politische Lösung innerhalb des Landes anzustreben. Im Zentrum des US-Interesses befindet sich hierbei nicht die Gefährdung des Lebens von Boat-people, sondern die innerlibysche Kriegssituation.

http://www.ultimaedizione.eu/doccia-fredda-di-obama-su-intervento-militare-europeo-in-libia-tocca-ora-pensare-ipotesi-piu-realistiche/

Doccia fredda di Obama su intervento militare europeo in Libia. Tocca ora pensare ipotesi più realistiche

Weiterlesen »

15. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen, Italien: 3.600 Boat-people in 2 Tagen gerettet · Kategorien: Alarm Phone, Deutschland, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

neurope.eu

A German ship and a merchant ship contributed to the rescue miss>ions

By Karafillis Giannoulis

3,600 migrants have been rescued in the past two days according to an Italian coast guard official.

Official told Reuters that, a German ship, Italian navy vessels, a merchant ship, Italy’s finance police and Italian coast guard all conducted rescue operations on Thursday. Moreover, a British military vessel supported by a Merlin Mk2 helicopter of 814 Naval Air Squadron, conducted a rescue operation.

Weather conditions in the Mediterranean were perfect and the Italian officials were on high alert acknowledging that many will attempt the crossing from Africa to the EU.

More than 600 migrants were brought ashore at the port of Catania in Sicily, and another 2,500 migrants saved from rickety boats off the coast of Libya, the coast guard said. Catania port officials told Reuters, that the 600 migrants were picked up by the British warship HMS Bulwark and were Somali and Nigerian.

A heavily pregnant Nigerian lady was among the migrants saved. She claimed that she left Nigeria because she feared the Boko Haram attacks. “It’s not safe to go to a public place, like a church, the market. They (Boko Haram) might bomb the place at any time,” she said and added that “the war in Libya is worse,” and that’s why she decided to enter Italy.

According to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) at least 1,826 migrants have perished, as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean so far this year. IOM welcomed European Commission’s plan to engage with migrants long before they reach the Mediterranean and to support countries bearing the brunt of those displaced by conflict and human rights abuses.

The International Organisation stressed that Niger, for example, is a key transit point for migrants heading to Europe. The Commission plan is for IOM and UNHCR to create “a pilot multi-purpose centre” in the country. This would provide information on the perils ahead, protection from exploitation and identify those in need of resettlement, temporary protection, family reunification and other options.

14. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Berlin zweifelt an militärischer Schleuser-Jagd“ – stimmts? – SPIEGEL · Kategorien: Deutschland, Italien, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Quelle: Flüchtlinge: Berlin zweifelt an militärischer Schleuser-Jagd – SPIEGEL ONLINE

Konzept der EU-Kommission: Berlin bremst bei der Schleuser-Jagd

Von

Mit einer Militäroperation will die EU schon ab Juni Schleuser auf dem Mittelmeer jagen und ihre Boote am Strand von Libyen zerstören. Die Bundesregierung fürchtet eine gefährliche neue Bundeswehr-Mission und bremst nach Kräften.

Weiterlesen »

14. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Bundeswehr Marine vor Libyen, in Rettungsaktion – Doku · Kategorien: Deutschland, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,
Dokumentation:

The German military vessel "Hessen" rescued today 107 people in
distress, they were in a dinghie about 83 kilometers northeast of Tripolis:

Seenotrettung Mittelmeer: Fregatte Hessen nimmt erneut Schiffbrüchige
auf Mittelmeer, 14.05.2015, Einstellzeit: 15.09 Uhr. Weiterlesen »
14. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Bozen: Warten auf Zug nach Deutschland – Fotos · Kategorien: Deutschland, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Il Fatto Quotidiano

Bolzano: ogni giorno centinaia di migranti sconfinano illegalmente

La stazione alpina è un campo profughi a cielo aperto perché è lì che si ammassano gli immigrati in attesa di andare in Germania. I controlli sono praticamente inesistenti e per loro prendere il treno per Monaco è un gioco da ragazzi. “Ho traversato il Sahara e il Mediterraneo, non saranno le Alpi a fermarci”, dicono fiduciosi

13. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Video: Refugee Movement – Bustour 2015 · Kategorien: Deutschland, Video · Tags:

Organized by Refugees and their Supporters from Berlin

::: Video

13. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für EU: Auch Bodentruppen nach Libyen · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen · Tags: ,

The Guardian

Migrant crisis: EU plan to strike Libya networks could include ground forces

Exclusive: Strategy paper for the mission focuses on air and naval campaign, but adds that ‘presence ashore’ might be needed to destroy smugglers’ assets

European plans for a military campaign to smash the migrant smuggling networks operating out of Libya include options for ground forces on Libyan territory.

The 19-page strategy paper for the mission, obtained by the Guardian, focuses on an air and naval campaign in the Mediterranean and in Libyan territorial waters, subject to United Nations blessing. But it adds that ground operations in Libya may also be needed to destroy the smugglers’ vessels and assets, such as fuel dumps.

Weiterlesen »

12. Mai 2015 · Kommentare deaktiviert für SOS Mediterrannee gegründet · Kategorien: Deutschland, Mittelmeer · Tags:

„Wo Tritons Hilfsbereitschaft aufhört“

Viele Flüchtlingsschiffe geraten schon kurz nach ihrem Auslaufen in Seenot. Ein neuer Verein will nun direkt an der Grenze zum libyschen Hoheitsgewässer Leben retten.

von Martin Klingst

Nach dem verheerenden Schiffsunglück im Mittelmeer, bei dem vor ein paar Wochen mindestens 800 Flüchtlinge ums Leben gekommen waren, hat die Bundeswehr nun zwei Rettungsschiffe in die Straße von Sizilien entsandt.

Weiterlesen »