01. April 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „How Italy’s NGO Boat Seizure Exposes Europe’s Dangerous Policy at Sea“ · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Refugees Deeply | 27.03.2018

Italy’s seizure of an NGO rescue ship has refocused attention on how Europe outsourced control of the central Mediterranean to the Libyan Coast Guard. Amnesty International’s Matteo de Bellis examines the legal and humanitarian issues at stake.

Watching 93 emaciated refugees and migrants disembark from a Spanish NGO ship in the Italian port of Pozzallo earlier this month, the town’s mayor said they reminded him of “a scene from the concentration camps.”

They had boarded a boat bound for Europe, only to find themselves stranded at sea. One of them, a 21-year-old man called Segen, died a day later. However, his fellow travelers are receiving much-needed assistance, thanks to the brave actions of their rescuers aboard an NGO ship, the Proactiva Open Arms. The following week, that ship was itself making headlines.

Weiterlesen »

01. April 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Grenzübertritt sorgt für Verstimmung zwischen Italien und Frankreich“ · Kategorien: Frankreich, Italien, Schengen Migration · Tags: ,

Spiegel Online | 31.03.2018

Zwei französische Polizisten haben die italienische Grenze übertreten und einen Mann auf Drogen testen lassen. Der Zwischenfall löste eine Diskussion um Territorialfragen aus.

Ein Zwischenfall an der italienisch-französischen Grenze sorgt für diplomatische Verstimmungen zwischen den beiden EU-Ländern. Frankreichs Botschafter sei einbestellt worden, um zu erklären, warum französische Grenzpolizisten in eine Ambulanz für Migranten auf italienischem Gebiet eingedrungen seien, hieß es am Samstag aus dem Außenministerium in Rom.

Die Einrichtung im Grenzbahnhof Bardonecchia wird von der Hilfsorganisation „Rainbow for Africa“ betrieben. Sie unterstützt damit Migranten, die sich über die Alpen auf den Weg nach Frankreich machen.

Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Algeria: Deported Migrants Robbed in Mali“ · Kategorien: Algerien, Mali, Mittelmeer, Mittelmeerroute, Niger · Tags:

HRW | 14.03.2018

Waves of Arbitrary Expulsions

(Beirut) – Algerian authorities have arbitrarily deported in the beginning of March more than a hundred migrants of various African nationalities into a lawless zone of neighboring Mali, where armed groups have robbed some of them, Human Rights Watch said today.

The Algerian authorities failed to adequately screen the migrants to determine their status and give them the opportunity to challenge their deportation, including those who might have refugee claims, and to collect their savings and belongings. A nongovernmental organization based in Gao, Mali, said that it had provided services to more than 125 of the recently arrived Migrants on March 6 and 7.
Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Furious, Deported Malian Migrants Stone Algeria’s Embassy In Mali“ · Kategorien: Algerien, Mali, Mittelmeer, Mittelmeerroute · Tags: ,

Morocco World News | 16.03.2918

In what some local media outlets have compared to the fury that led young Iranians to take the American embassy hostage in 1979, dozens of angry deported Malian migrants recently stormed the Algerian embassy in Bamako, attacking the building with stones and leaving the building in ruins.

The incident is said to be a follow up of the expulsion of 94 Malian migrants from Algerian territory last week. Armed with stones and some other metallic materials, the angry deported migrants took out their anger, fury, and frustration at the North African country’s diplomatic representation in their country, hoping that this desperate act would send signals as to what the general mood is regarding Algeria’s mistreatment of sub-Saharan migrants.
Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Algeria: mass deportations of African migrants“ · Kategorien: Algerien, Mittelmeer, Mittelmeerroute · Tags:

ecre | 30.03.2018

Algeria has been deporting hundreds of African migrants at a time, in an ongoing crackdown on illegal migration. Algeria, along with other North African countries, refused to sign the protocol on the freedom of movement of people and right of residence attached to the African Union’s African Continental Free Trade Area agreement.

Algeria has repatriated 27,000 sub-Saharan African migrants since 2015, a rare official statistic revealed by the interior minister Nouredine Bedoui last Thursday. He added that repatriations are still ongoing. Algeria is a key destination and transit country for many African migrants, mostly from Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso or Chad. People who have been deported from Algeria earlier this month, stated they were detained in makeshift camps for a few days before being taken on trucks and sent across the border at gunpoint. They then had to walk through the desert for hours to reach In Khalil, the first town in Mali. Some migrants also reported being robbed by armed groups along the way.
Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Situation for asylum seekers in Paris remains critical despite promises“ · Kategorien: Frankreich, Schengen Migration, Social Mix

ecre | 30.03.2018

Op-ed by Alice Lucas, Programme Manager for Refugee Rights Europe

Despite promises from the French President Macron to get people “off the streets, out of the woods” by the end of 2017 and the continued eviction of makeshift settlements, new research by Refugee Rights Europe reveals that the situation remains critical for refugees and displaced people* sleeping rough on the streets of Paris.

While organisations on the ground are working tirelessly to provide basic humanitarian aid to refugees and displaced people , including food and clothing, it appears that the state response continues to leave vulnerable individuals in inhumane and substandard conditions, facing freezing temperatures, inadequate shelter and a striking lack of access to information on European asylum law and immigration rules.

An alarming 86% of our respondents were living in destitution on the streets of Paris – often in tents provided by local NGOs or sleeping under bridges on damp mattresses or the floor. We were shocked by the conditions in which many people were forced to live, with little access to appropriate sanitation facilities, and relying on food distribution points by local organisations and civil society.

Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Tod im Mittelmeer: „Mama, ich kann nicht mehr, bitte töte mich“ · Kategorien: Griechenland, Türkei · Tags: , ,

Spiegel Online | 29.03.2018

Zwei Familien ertrinken auf der Flucht von der Türkei nach Griechenland im Mittelmeer, nur drei Menschen überleben. Die Küstenwache wurde informiert – eine Rettung unterblieb. Eine Rekonstruktion.

Von Samos berichten Giorgos Christides, Nicolai Kwasniewski und Christoph Koitka (Fotos und Video)

Ist es möglich, dass im Mittelmeer, kurz vor einer rettenden Insel, zwei Familien sterben und keiner es bemerkt? Ist es möglich, dass viele, die diese Katastrophe hätten verhindern können, Bescheid wussten und dennoch nichts taten? Die Familienangehörigen und die Überlebenden des Schiffbruchs haben gute Gründe für die schockierende Annahme, dass ihre Familien, darunter neun Kinder, noch am Leben sein könnten.

Ein SPIEGEL-Team hat mehrere Tage lang auf Samos mit den Betroffenen gesprochen, mit Angehörigen, mit Beamten von Polizei und Küstenwache. Es hat Belege und Beweise zusammengetragen. Das Puzzle ergibt das Bild eines Unglücks, das weit weniger schicksalhaft war, als es zunächst schien.

Weiterlesen »

30. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Die EU und die Schüsse auf Flüchtlinge: Erdogans Komplizen“ · Kategorien: Deutschland, Europa, Türkei · Tags: ,

Spiegel Online | 29.03.2018

Türkische Soldaten schießen laut Berichten von Menschenrechtsaktivisten auf Flüchtlinge. Gleichzeitig überweisen die EU-Staaten der Türkei Millionen für die Aufrüstung ihrer Grenzen. Das macht sie mitschuldig.

Ein Kommentar von Maximilian Popp

Deutschland schottet sich so massiv gegen Geflüchtete ab wie seit den Neunzigerjahren nicht mehr – und nimmt dafür Menschenrechtsverletzungen in Kauf.

Die EU hat auf Betreiben der Bundesregierung einen Pakt mit der Türkei geschlossen, der dafür sorgen soll, dass Flüchtlinge nur noch in Ausnahmefällen nach Europa gelangen. Der Deal, der sich gerade zum zweiten Mal jährt, hat die sogenannte Flüchtlingskrise nicht gelindert, wie seine Unterstützer behaupten. Er hat sie nur verlagert.

Weiterlesen »

29. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Time to Investigate European Agents for Crimes against Migrants in Libya“ · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen

EJIL: Talk | 29.03.2018

In March 2011, the ICC Office of the Prosecutor of the international criminal court opened its investigation into the situation in Libya, following a referral by the UN Security Council. The investigation concerns crimes against humanity in Libya starting 15 February 2011, including the crimes against humanity of murder and persecution, allegedly committed by Libyan agents. As the ICC Prosecutor explained to the UN Security Council in her statement of 8 May 2017, the investigation also concerns “serious and widespread crimes against migrants attempting to transit through Libya.” Fatou Bensouda labels Libya as a “marketplace for the trafficking of human beings.” As she says, “thousands of vulnerable migrants, including women and children, are being held in detention centres across Libya in often inhumane condition.” The findings are corroborated by the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNMSIL) and the Panel of Experts established pursuant to Resolution 1973 (2011). Both report on the atrocities to which migrants are subjected, not only by armed militias, smugglers and traffickers, but also by the new Libyan Coast Guard and the Department for Combatting Illegal Migration of the UN-backed Al Sarraj’s Government of National Accord – established with EU and Italian support.

Weiterlesen »

29. März 2018 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Migranti, dietro i libici c’è la Marina militare italiana?“ · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags: , , ,

Werden die Einsätze der libyschen Küstenwache von der italienischen Marine gesteuert? Hinweise bietet der Beschluss des Ermittlungsrichters von Catania, der die Beschlagnahme der Open Arms bestätigt hat.

Il Manifesto | 29.03.2018

L’inchiesta sulla Open Arms

Carlo Lania

Ma chi coordina gli interventi della Guardia costiera libica? Tripoli non ha una propria area Sar (ricerca e salvataggio) né dispone di un proprio Mrcc, un centro di controllo per i salvataggi in mare dal quale dare indicazioni alle sue motovedette impegnate, anche in acque internazionali, nel fermare i barconi carichi di migranti. A leggere però il decreto con cui il Gip di Catania ha confermato due giorni fa il sequestro della nave della ong spagnola Open Arms (facendo però decadere l’accusa di associazione per delinquere), sembra che un ruolo importante nell’attività dei militari libici lo abbia la Marina militare italiana.

Weiterlesen »