02. Mai 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen: EU-Schiffsblockade Planungen · Kategorien: Libyen

Quelle: the Trumpet

President Obama Wants NATO to Stop Libyan Refugees; Merkel Wants the EU

The German chancellor believes Europe’s naval missions can handle the flow of migrants without NATO.

By Kieren Underwood

With the European Union-Turkey migrant deal stopping refugees from crossing from the Turkey-Greece border into Europe, officials are worried another route may become more popular—from Libya into Italy. During United States President Barack Obama’s visit to Germany on April 25, he offered the help of nato’s navy to shore up the Libya-Italy sea route. German Chancellor Angela Merkel rejected the offer: she wants it done under EU command.

President Obama’s meetings with European leaders last week included discussions on the migrant crisis and Islamist infiltration into Libya. Since the start of 2014, 350,000 people have sailed from Libya, hoping to reach the Italian coast.

Weiterlesen »

02. Mai 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen, Italien: „Up to 100 missing in two migrant shipwrecks“ · Kategorien: Alarm Phone, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Quelle: The Local

Up to 100 missing in two migrant shipwrecks

Fifteen migrants are missing after their boat sank on Friday, the second shipwreck that day in the Mediterranean, bringing the number of lives lost to almost 100, the UN said on Sunday.

A boat carrying around 120 people had sunk early Friday, four hours after leaving Libya for Italy, UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokeswoman Carlotta Sami told AFP, adding that „some 15 persons went missing“.

Among the missing were four Nigerians, two people from the Ivory Coast, three from Guinea, two from Sudan and one from Mali, she said.

Survivors were being disembarked in Pozzallo, Sicily, she said, adding that eight people had been taken straight to hospital „due to their serious health conditions,“ and that two bodies had also been disembarked.

Weiterlesen »

30. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen, Italien: 84 Boat-people ertrunken – IOM · Kategorien: Alarm Phone, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Mindestens 70 Bootsflüchtlinge sind am Freitagmorgen auf dem Weg von Libyen nach Italien nach einer weiteren Schiffskatastrophe ertrunken. Bei der italienischen Seenotleitstelle in Rom waren Signale eines Satellitentelephons eingegangen: die Schiffsbrüchigen wurden 7 Seemeilen vor Sabrata lokalisiert. Aus dieser Region fahren die meisten Boat-people aus Libyen Richtung Italien los. Mehrere Berichte deuten darauf hin, dass die Schiffe von EUNAVFOR und Frontex in den letzten Tagen aus dieser Region abgezogen worden waren. – Die römische Seenotleitstelle schickte ein italienisches Frachtschiff, das in der Region fuhr, zu den Schiffbrüchigen. 26 Personen konnte das Frachtschiff retten. Die Überlebenden berichten, dass ihr Schiff voll besetzt war, mit üblicherweise 100 Personen. Das Frachtschiff fand das halb untergegangene Schlauchboot. Am Freitagabend brach der Frachter nach vergeblicher weiterer Suche Richtung Italien auf.

Quelle: La Repubblica

Migranti, naufragio al largo Libia: si temono più di ottanta dispersi

Un mercantile italiano ha soccorso un gommone semiaffondato, salvando 26 persone. La guardia costiera allertata da una chiamata muta giunta in mattinata da un telefono satellitare localizzato più tardi quattro miglia al largo di Sabrata

Weiterlesen »

29. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen: EU-Flüchtlingsinternierungslager geplant · Kategorien: Europa, Italien, Libyen · Tags:

Quelle: Spiegel Online

Geplanter Deal: EU erwägt Migrantengefängnisse in Libyen

Von Markus Becker und Matthias Gebauer

Im Sommer könnten Hunderttausende Migranten versuchen, von Nordafrika nach Europa zu kommen. Vertrauliche Dokumente zeigen, dass die EU darüber nachdenkt, sie schon in Libyen zu stoppen – ein entsprechender Deal wird vorbereitet.

In der EU gibt es Planungen, den befürchteten Zustrom von Migranten aus Nordafrika mit drastischen Maßnahmen zu verhindern. Ein internes EU-Dokument, das der Europäische Auswärtige Dienst (EEAS) kürzlich an die Mitgliedstaaten versandte, skizziert bereits einen Deal mit einer neuen libyschen Regierung, der die umstrittenen Absprachen mit der Türkei noch übertrifft. Das 17-seitige Papier liegt SPIEGEL ONLINE vor.

Weiterlesen »

28. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Libyen, Italien: Immer mehr tote Boat-people – Analyse · Kategorien: Hintergrund, Italien, Lesetipps, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Quelle: Open Migration

Sempre più migranti muoiono in mare sulla rotta verso l’Italia

Alessandro Lanni

500 scomparsi al largo della Libia. Dati in aumento dopo la fine dell’operazione Mare Nostrum. La via del Mediterraneo centrale è la più pericolosa: il 75% dei decessi nel 2015 nei viaggi verso il nostro paese.

La conferma alla fine è arrivata. Il 18 aprile sono morte centinaia di persone partite da Tobruk (Libia) nel naufragio di un’imbarcazione carica di migranti. Somale? Eritree? Sudanesi? 400? 500? Difficile dirlo. Sicuramente provavano a raggiungere l’Italia e l’Europa e sono morte in mare a 365 giorni esatti da un altro drammatico naufragio, nel quale morirono circa altri 900 migranti a largo delle coste siciliane.

Weiterlesen »

28. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Italy’s plan to combat Libyan migrant smugglers could mean chasing shadows“ · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen, Malta · Tags:

Quelle: The Guardian

Fears of a refugee wave through north Africa are based on thin evidence and deploying naval vessels may have little effect on dinghies already at sea

Though migration levels from Libya are no higher than they were last year, European governments are terrified that the closure of the refugee route from Turkey to Greece will lead to a fresh surge through the north African country towards Italy.

Over the past few days, these fears prompted western leaders to discuss a two-pronged response. First, Rome proposed the deportation of Italy-bound migrants back to war-torn Libya. Then Barack Obama agreed at a meeting with European allies to add US ships to ongoing anti-smuggling operations in international waters off the Libyan coast.

Weiterlesen »

26. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Ägypten: Verhaftungswelle Menschenrechtsgruppen · Kategorien: Italien, Libyen · Tags:

Quelle: La Repubblica

Regeni, arrestato in Egitto consulente della famiglia: „Liberatelo“

Ahmed Abdallah è presidente del consiglio d’amministrazione della Commissione egiziana per i diritti e le libertà, ong che offre consulenza ai legali del ricercatore torturato e ucciso al Cairo. L’accusa è promozione del terrorrismo.

ROMA – La famiglia Regeni si dice „angosciata“ per l’arresto in Egitto „del dottor Ahmed Abdallah, presidente del consiglio d’amministrazione della Commissione egiziana per i diritti e le libertà (Ecrf), ong che sta offrendo attività di consulenza per i nostri legali“. L’uomo è stato arrestato ieri come anticipato da Repubblica.

Weiterlesen »

26. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für NATO soll im Sommer Boat-people mit Schiffsblockade aufhalten · Kategorien: Europa, Libyen · Tags: ,

The liberal Newspaper of Malta, The Malta Independent, writes today about ideas and plans to blockade the Libyan coast with forces of the Eastern Mediterranean NATO and EMF joint-operation „Operation Active Endeavor“.

Quelle: The Independent

NATO to blockade Libyan coast this summer to stop central Mediterranean migrant flows

NATO is planning a naval blockade of the Libyan coat this summer to close off the central Mediterranean migration route, as the numbers of migrants using the route, which features Malta as a central point, are expected to surge.

The military alliance is reportedly just three months away from launching the mission, according to Italian Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti, who revealed the plans as the leaders of the US, Britain, France, Germany and Italy met in Hanover, Germany yesterday.

Weiterlesen »

24. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für Schiffskatastrophe: „Lack of information and delay in interviewing survivors“ · Kategorien: Ägypten, Alarm Phone, Griechenland, Italien, Libyen · Tags: ,

Quelle: ABC

Europe migrant crisis: Mediterranean capsize death toll causes confusion among aid agencies

By Anne Barker

A lack of information and a delay in interviewing survivors appear to have caused initial scepticism about the latest mass drowning of refugees in the Mediterranean.

Key points:

  • Exact death toll still unknown
  • Refugees fleeing Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea, bound for Italy
  • Aid agencies took days to confirm incident, after interviewing survivors
  • UNHCR says incident „one of the worst tragedies in past 12 months“

Weiterlesen »

21. April 2016 · Kommentare deaktiviert für EU hilft Libyen bei „Grenzmanagement“ · Kategorien: Deutschland, Europa, Libyen · Tags: , ,

Quelle: CILIP

EU hilft Libyen bei „Polizei und Strafjustiz, Terrorismusbekämpfung, Grenzmanagement“

von Matthias Monroy

Die Außenminister der Europäischen Union schlagen vor, die libysche Küstenwache mit neuen Ausbildungsmaßnahmen zu unterstützen. Ein entsprechender Beschluss zu „Beratungen und Kapazitätsaufbau“ findet sich in den Ratsschlussfolgerungen des Treffens vom 18. April. Weitere Aktivitäten einer „breiter angelegten Unterstützung der Reform des Sicherheitssektors“ könnten in den Bereichen „Polizei und Strafjustiz, Terrorismusbekämpfung, Grenzmanagement“ erfolgen. Laut den Schlussfolgerungen seien die Grenzen Libyens „von großer Bedeutung für die regionale und die europäische Sicherheit“.

Weiterlesen »