Obama bremst den EU-Plan zum Militäreinsatz an der libyschen Küste aus. Der EU-Militäreinsatz würde das Chaos in Libyen vergrößern. Stattdessen sei eine politische Lösung innerhalb des Landes anzustreben. Im Zentrum des US-Interesses befindet sich hierbei nicht die Gefährdung des Lebens von Boat-people, sondern die innerlibysche Kriegssituation.
A German ship and a merchant ship contributed to the rescue miss>ions
By Karafillis Giannoulis
3,600 migrants have been rescued in the past two days according to an Italian coast guard official.
Official told Reuters that, a German ship, Italian navy vessels, a merchant ship, Italy’s finance police and Italian coast guard all conducted rescue operations on Thursday. Moreover, a British military vessel supported by a Merlin Mk2 helicopter of 814 Naval Air Squadron, conducted a rescue operation.
Weather conditions in the Mediterranean were perfect and the Italian officials were on high alert acknowledging that many will attempt the crossing from Africa to the EU.
More than 600 migrants were brought ashore at the port of Catania in Sicily, and another 2,500 migrants saved from rickety boats off the coast of Libya, the coast guard said. Catania port officials told Reuters, that the 600 migrants were picked up by the British warship HMS Bulwark and were Somali and Nigerian.
A heavily pregnant Nigerian lady was among the migrants saved. She claimed that she left Nigeria because she feared the Boko Haram attacks. “It’s not safe to go to a public place, like a church, the market. They (Boko Haram) might bomb the place at any time,” she said and added that “the war in Libya is worse,” and that’s why she decided to enter Italy.
According to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) at least 1,826 migrants have perished, as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean so far this year. IOM welcomed European Commission’s plan to engage with migrants long before they reach the Mediterranean and to support countries bearing the brunt of those displaced by conflict and human rights abuses.
The International Organisation stressed that Niger, for example, is a key transit point for migrants heading to Europe. The Commission plan is for IOM and UNHCR to create “a pilot multi-purpose centre” in the country. This would provide information on the perils ahead, protection from exploitation and identify those in need of resettlement, temporary protection, family reunification and other options.
Quelle: Flüchtlinge: Berlin zweifelt an militärischer Schleuser-Jagd – SPIEGEL ONLINE
Konzept der EU-Kommission: Berlin bremst bei der Schleuser-Jagd
Mit einer Militäroperation will die EU schon ab Juni Schleuser auf dem Mittelmeer jagen und ihre Boote am Strand von Libyen zerstören. Die Bundesregierung fürchtet eine gefährliche neue Bundeswehr-Mission und bremst nach Kräften.
Drama auf dem Meer: Asien macht Grenzen für Flüchtlinge dicht
Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesien: Kein Land will die rund 7000 Bootsflüchtlinge aufnehmen, die in der Meerenge von Malakka treiben. Nur internationaler Druck könnte die aus Burma stammenden Menschen noch retten.
Dokumentation: The German military vessel "Hessen" rescued today 107 people in distress, they were in a dinghie about 83 kilometers northeast of Tripolis: Seenotrettung Mittelmeer: Fregatte Hessen nimmt erneut Schiffbrüchige auf Mittelmeer, 14.05.2015, Einstellzeit: 15.09 Uhr. Weiterlesen »
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20150514/local/moas-rescues-561-migrants-in-biggest-single-operation.568182
Thursday, May 14, 2015, 15:26
MOAS rescues 561 migrants in biggest single operation
Malta based MOAS rescued 561 migrants today in the biggest single operation by its ship the Phoenix. The migrants were picked up off Libya. 136 were woman and 60 were infants. In view of limited space on the ship, some of the migrants are being transferred to other vessels. The Phoenix had been due to return to Malta today but stayed on station because of the migrants emergency. MOAS started operations last year and its current mission started on May 2. Today was a particularly busy day for rescuers, with 15 rescue missions taking place simultaneously. Warships from several countries were involved notably Italy, Britain and Germany. They picked up more than 2,000 migrants. Phoenix yesterday also transferred 188 migrants it had rescued to Britain’s HMS Bulwark. The rescued migrants are being taken to Italy. […] NATO ASSISTANCE Weiterlesen »
Quelle: Agrigento Web
Immigrazione: oltre 1.300 migranti soccorsi al largo Libia
Grosse Rettungsaktionen laufen am heutigen Tag vor der libyschen Küste. Die offiziellen italienischen Stellen sprechen von bislang 1.300 Geretteten. MOAS und andere Schiffe haben offensichtlich auch grosse Rettungsaktionen eingeleitet. Das Alarm-Phone berichtet von vielen Toten, die Information wird derzeit geprüft.
Weiterlesen »
Bolzano: ogni giorno centinaia di migranti sconfinano illegalmente
La stazione alpina è un campo profughi a cielo aperto perché è lì che si ammassano gli immigrati in attesa di andare in Germania. I controlli sono praticamente inesistenti e per loro prendere il treno per Monaco è un gioco da ragazzi. “Ho traversato il Sahara e il Mediterraneo, non saranno le Alpi a fermarci”, dicono fiduciosi
Quelle: Frankfurter Rundschau
Flüchtlingskrise in Südostasien
Tausende Menschen driften in teils kaum seetüchtigen Booten auf dem Meer. Niemand will sie aufnehmen. Eine Rettungsaktion gibt es nicht.
In Südostasien driften nach Angaben von Menschenrechtlern Tausende Flüchtlinge hilflos im Meer. Es handelt sich überwiegend um Angehörige der muslimischen Rohingya, die in ihrer Heimat Myanmar verfolgt werden, berichtete die zwischenstaatliche Organisation für Migration (IOM) am Dienstag.
«Wir gehen davon aus, dass rund 8000 Menschen auf hoher See treiben», sagte der Chef des IOM-Thailand-Büros, Jeff Labovitz, am Dienstag in Bangkok. Die Schätzungen beruhten auf Angaben von IOM-Mitarbeitern in Myanmar. Dort seien im März 3000 und im April 5000 Menschen per Boot geflüchtet. Viele werden von Schleppern wochenlang an Bord gehalten.
Deaths at the Borders of Southern Europe
The database was created by researchers of VU University Amsterdam and is based on official death records of migrants who died at the Southern European borders in the years 1990-2013.
It contains individualized information on 3.188 people who died while attempting to reach southern EU countries from the Balkans, the Middle East, and North & West Africa, and whose bodies were found in or brought to Europe. It is unique because it includes – where known – date and place of death, cause of death, gender, age, country of origin, and whether or not the person was identified.