25. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Spain rescues 224 migrants from 5 boats in Mediterranean“ · Kategorien: Spanien · Tags: ,

Washington Post | 24.06.2017

By Associated Press

MADRID — Spain’s maritime rescue service says it has rescued 224 migrants from five different boats trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.

The rescue service says it reached two boats, carrying 66 and 77 migrants, in the Strait of Gibraltar overnight. A third boat with nine migrants was intercepted around daybreak Saturday in the same waters.

A few hours later, a Portuguese plane with the European Union Frontex border patrols spotted two more boats to the east, carrying 35 and 37 migrants each.

Weiterlesen »

25. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Mehr Menschen fliehen über das Mittelmeer“ · Kategorien: Mittelmeerroute · Tags:

Zeit Online | 25.06.2017

Die Zahl der Flüchtlinge, die auf der Mittelmeerroute nach Europa gelangen, ist gestiegen. Über drei Millionen sind allein in der Türkei gelandet.

Die Zahl der Flüchtlinge über das Mittelmeer hat einem Medienbericht zufolge wieder zugenommen. Seit Jahresbeginn bis zum 22. Juni registrierte Italien laut Bild am Sonntag 71.978 Neuankömmlinge, die die zentrale Mittelmeerroute als Fluchtweg gewählt hatten. Das ist ein Plus von 27,6 Prozent gegenüber dem gleichen Zeitraum im Vorjahr.

Rund 3,3 Millionen Flüchtlinge hielten sich derzeit in der Türkei auf, berichtet das Blatt unter Berufung auf Sicherheitskreise. In Griechenland seien es 62.354 Flüchtlinge, davon 14.489 auf den Inseln. In Deutschland wurden demnach von Januar bis Ende Mai 77.148 Asylgesuche eingereicht. Im Vorjahr waren es im gesamten Jahr 280.000.

Die zentrale Mittelmeerroute von Libyen in Richtung Italien gilt als gefährlichster Seeweg von Afrika nach Europa. Nach Angaben der Organisation für Migration IOM kamen seit Jahresbeginn mehr als 1.800 Flüchtlinge im Mittelmeer ums Leben. Italien registrierte seitdem die Ankunft von 65.000 Flüchtlingen. Immer wieder retten die Küstenwachen der Anrainerstaaten und Nichtregierungsorganisationen Hunderte Menschen aus Seenot.

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für “E-smuggling”: Europol steps up efforts against online-assisted migrant crossings · Kategorien: Europa · Tags: , , ,

Matthias Monroy | 23.06.2017

According to the EU police agency, in the past year 17,459 people operated as “human traffickers”. In the majority of cases, refugees and their facilitators communicate using Facebook or Telegram. Seizing of electronic evidence is thus to take on a greater role in investigations.

Last year, the EU police agency Europol received reports of 1,150 social media accounts apparently used by refugees to facilitate their entry into or travel through the European Union. This information is based on figures (PDF) published by the European Migrant Smuggling Center (EMSC) at Europol for 2016. The number of incriminated accounts in 2015 was just 148.

The report does not differentiate between humanitarian assistance for refugees and commercial offers. It is also unclear how many of the accounts were reported to the online providers to be removed. According to Europol, the rate of compliance with requests for deletion among companies was around 90 percent.

Weiterlesen »

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „UN Migration Agency Launches Detention Centre Mapping in Libya“ · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags: ,

IOM | 20.06.2017

Libya – In the latest expansion to its activities, Libya’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) launched a Detention Centre Profile component on 14 June 2017.

The first round of assessments profiled 13 detention centres across the East, West and South of Libya, and more centres will be added in future data collection rounds.

DTM’s newly launched Detention Centre Profiles collect information from across detention centres managed by Libya’s Directorate for Combating Illegal Migration (DCIM).

Weiterlesen »

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Stracci e disperazione sotto il viadotto. L’assedio dei profughi a Ventimiglia“ · Kategorien: Libyen · Tags:

La Stampa | 24.06.2017

Dormono tra i rifiuti sul greto del fiume per non essere identificati. Cresce la rabbia: “Turisti in fuga”. E si teme l’emergenza sanitaria

LORENZA RAPINI

Dopo il sole del deserto e la traversata disperata sulle carrette del mare, dormono in un «accampamento» di fortuna, tra i rifiuti sul greto di un fiume. Sono quasi 300.

In un’Europa in cui l’accoglienza sembra ancora non essere un problema comune, tra chi costruisce muri, chi chiude le frontiere come la Francia e chi, al contrario, tenta di dare asilo ai migranti. L’«imbuto» è a Ventimiglia, dove arrivano migliaia di stranieri che vogliono attraversare il confine ma che, alla fine, «invadono» pacificamente la Riviera dei turisti.

Weiterlesen »

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „This refugee squat represents the best and worst of humanity“ · Kategorien: Griechenland · Tags: ,

The Guardian | 23.06.2017

The derelict City Plaza hotel in Athens was taken over by activists in 2016. Since then, it has housed refugees without a cent of government funding

Molly Crabapple

On 26 April 2016, the same month the EU-Turkey deal trapped 60,000 refugees in Greece, migrant solidarity activists broke the locks on City Plaza, a shuttered hotel in Athens’ anarchist Exarchia neighborhood, and gave 400 stranded people a home. Over the next year, City Plaza grew into the best known of over a dozen squats that house refugees in Greece’s crisis ravaged capital. It has been covered by Time, Al Jazeera and the New York Times.Volunteers pass through from all over Europe.

City Plaza boasts a clinic, a delicious cafeteria, language classes, a café. Families live in private rooms. Some have jobs. Their kids attend Greek schools. Most of the work to maintain City Plaza is done, and decisions made, by its residents, who hail from a dozen countries and abide by a behavior code that has zero tolerance for sexism, racism or abuse.

Weiterlesen »

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Greeks protest government crackdown on refugee squats“ · Kategorien: Griechenland · Tags:

Al Jazeera | 23.06.2017

An estimated 2,500 refugees and migrants live in squatted buildings in Athens – some of which are at risk of eviction.

by Patrick Strickland

Hundreds of Greek protesters and refugees have demonstrated in Athens to voice opposition to a court’s ruling to empty out squats, several of which provide residence to refugees and migrants.

Marching from the City Plaza refugee squat in central Athens, around 700 people made the trek to the Ministry of Migration building in the capital’s Klafthmonos Square on Friday.

They chanted in support of squats and their residents, carrying signs that read „City Plaza is our home“ and „Hands off squats“.

Weiterlesen »

24. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „For sale“ – wie Flüchtlinge in Libyen zu Sklaven werden · Kategorien: Afrika, Libyen

Frankfurter Rundschau | 23.06.2017

Einst war Libyen ein Eldorado für Migranten. Doch die Schlepper gehen immer brutaler mit denen um, die nach Europa wollen.

Libyen war einst ein Eldorado für Migranten: Ein Zufluchtsort für Hunderttausende von Westafrikanern, auf dessen Baustellen, Ölfeldern oder Fabriken sie mit für ihre Verhältnisse traumhaften Gehältern rechnen konnten. Seit Muammar Gaddafis Regime vor sechs Jahren mit westlicher Hilfe aus der Macht gebombt wurde, ist aus dem Zufluchtsort jedoch eine Hölle geworden – mit immer grausameren Berichten über die Machenschaften von Menschenhändlern, die ihre Opfer als Sklaven verkaufen, in Bordellen halten oder unter Folter Geld von ihren Familien erpressen. Noch immer steuern Hunderttausende von Afrikanern auf der Suche nach Jobs den nordafrikanischen Staat an: Doch nur, um so schnell wie möglich nach Europa zu kommen – woran viele bereits in der südlibyschen Wüstenstadt Sabha auf schreckliche Weise scheitern.

Vier Monate lang sei er in seinem „Gefängnis“ Morgen für Morgen verprügelt worden, erzählt der 34-jährige Nigerianer Seun Femi der BBC: Mit Dutzenden anderer Migranten sei er „wie Sardinen“ in drei verdunkelten Räumen gehalten worden. Die Menschenhändler nannten es den „Morgentee“: Sie schlugen mit Stöcken, Schläuchen oder Fäusten auf ihre Opfer ein. Dann gaben sie ihnen ein Handy, mit dem sie noch weinend ihre Familien um das geforderte Lösegeld anflehen sollten. Femis Ex-Freundin gelang es erst nach vier Monaten, sein kaputtes Taxi für die verlangten 500 US-Dollar zu verkaufen: Um dieses reparieren zu können, war er überhaupt erst in Richtung Europa aufgebrochen. Femi hatte Glück, dass er sich während der Prügelorgien nur zwei Finger brach: Einer seiner Mithäftlinge wurde vor seinen Augen totgeschlagen.

Weiterlesen »

23. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Amid Drought, Somali Pastoralists Watch Their ‘Sources of Life’ Perish“ · Kategorien: Afrika · Tags:

Refugees Deeply | 20.06.2017

With 17 million people crippled by drought in the Horn of Africa, Samuel Hall researchers and photographer Ashley Hamer explain the realities of climate-induced displacement in Somalia on World Refugee Day.

Samuel Hall Research Team, Ashley Hamer

PUNTLAND, SOMALIA – “Our world of plenty today faces an unprecedented four famines,” anti-poverty group Oxfam said in late May, as the leaders met for the G7 summit in Sicily, which is once again the gateway for most refugees to Europe.

Along with northeastern Nigeria, South Sudan and Yemen, Somalia is faced with a particularly dire situation, which highlights the growing nexus between climate change and displacement.

Somalia has consistently produced one of the largest refugee and internally displaced populations in the world, due to a combination of conflict, environmental degradation, drought and famine.

With over half of the country’s population experiencing food and water shortages, the Somali president declared the ongoing humanitarian crisis a “national disaster” in February.

Weiterlesen »

23. Juni 2017 · Kommentare deaktiviert für „Berlin’s Tempelhof: The Camp Too Controversial to Customize“ · Kategorien: Deutschland · Tags:

Refugees Deeply | 22.06.2017

The complex history of Berlin’s closed airport made it challenging as a refugee shelter, writes Toby Parsloe for Forced Migration Review. He explains how a graffiti ban and concerns over its future show the constraints of co-opting public buildings for refugee housing.

Toby Parsloe

TEMPELHOF AIRPORT, BUILT by the Nazis in the 1930s, is a protected monument in the center of the German capital, Berlin. Its history, size and context have established it as a controversial and high-profile space for refugees.

And for the residents, there is a price to pay for living in such an iconic and politically charged structure. Questions around their inhabitation have become entangled with impassioned public debates concerning public space, urban development and heritage.

It was a bold decision to house refugees in Tempelhof’s former aircraft hangars. Since the airport’s closure in 2008, the terminal buildings have been used for a variety of events, and the airfield was transformed into Berlin’s largest public park. This has since become a cherished space, ingrained in everyday city life.

Weiterlesen »